Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Mmmmm Mmmmm Goood


Does anyone else out there daydream about sweets? 
I do.
Im not one for salty, greasy or fatty. I'm not one for battered, dipped or fried. I'm not one for candies or gummies. But I am ALL about any and every warm, gooey, yummy home-baked treat. 

I love cookies and brownies and cobblers and cakes and pies and ice cream (not necessarily in that order) so much... that it some times interferes with my relationships. I am ashamed to admit that there are times that I hide treats from the ones I love most, so I can secretly pull them out and indulge when no one else is around. (sigh)
The things I would do for home made caramel.... I ought to be embarrassed! But Im not! Sweets and treats are my thing! And for those of you out there who are like me and live for your 5 minutes peace when you're kids go to bed or your man goes to work, and you can enjoy some 'me' time eating a favorite treat while watching your favorite show, taking a bubble bath, or reading a good book... I have a recipe to share! 

These cookies are phenomenal. I think about them often when Im daydreaming about what treat I want after the kids go to bed. When I make this dough I double or triple the batch and freeze some for later. Its that good! What I really love about them is the versitility. You can add in all sorts of variations. I have yet to mix something in to the soft base that I haven't loved! 

For the sharing-impared, such as myself, its a good idea to divide the batch right away. "These are mine and those are yours." This has resolved any conflict in our home between those who inhale their treats vs. those who savor each morsel.

Enjoy!



Soft and Fluffy Cookie Base Recipe
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs, room temperature
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 3 1/4 cups cake flour
  • Mix-ins and/or extracts of your choosing 
 *Cake flour has a lower gluten content and allows for the light and fluffy texture of these cookies. However, you can use all-purpose flour and achieve similar results. Only use 3 cups minus 2 tbsp of all-purpose flour.
For Blueberry Lemon Cookies I chose to add:
  • 1 1/2 cups blueberries
  • Zest of one lemon
  • Juice of one lemon
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup white chocolate chips
For Almond Poppyseed cookies I add:
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 cup slivered almonds
  • 1 tsp almond extract
  • 1 tbsp poppy seeds

Preheat oven to 350. In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beat after each addition. If using any extracts, add and beat to incorporate. In a separate bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. With the mixer on low, slowly add the dry ingredients into the batter. Carefully fold in any mix-ins. Allow dough to cool in the refrigerator for at least an hour and up to overnight. Use a small scoop (about 1 tbsp size) and place rounded balls of dough on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or foil. Bake for 11-14 minutes, until the bottoms are slightly golden brown (the edges should not brown). 

3 comments:

  1. Oh yummy! My summers consist of me trying lots of new recipes. Can't wait to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm Blueberry Lemon?! Perfect for when we go pick blueberries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are amazing! Let me know what you think when you make them!

    ReplyDelete