Thursday, May 23, 2013

Get active


I have been a fitness instructor and personal trainer for 8+ years. I decided to get certified out of boredom our second summer selling. I've also become an avid reader and love discovering new books during the summer. Another summer I found a passion for making jewelry. That same year I also discovered how much I like making cards. During my summers I've also spent a lot of time developing talents, mainly painting and drawing.
Whatever it is you enjoy... use the slow-paced summer setting to explore, develop and ignite your talents, interested and passions.

My favorites summer reads from recent years: 
Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands
Proper Care and Feeding of Marriage
Twilight series
Hunger Games
Super Baby Foods
Raising Emotionally Intelligent Children
Religious Books and Scriptures
The Five Love Languages

My favorite fitness regime:
Get a gym membership! ...I always get a job teaching or training. For some reason I am most motivated to work out hard and consistently when someone is paying me to do it! ;) I love going to the gym because there is a plethora of classes to choose from. Its routine and scheduled. Its a place to go... when I'm needing to get 'out'. Plus, my kids LOVE going to the gym. They love new toys, friendly faces, and arts and crafts.
If you're not an avid fitness buff, try easing into it. I LOVE yoga!
Restorative Yoga -feels like you got a massage when you walk out the door... oober relaxing
Hot Yoga -seriously a sweaty good time. LOVE love love hot yoga
Vinyasa or flow yoga
Any of yoga class is a great way to reflect, find peace of mind, stretch and move, focus your thoughts and refresh.
Cycle is a great workout as well! Just about anybody can ride a bike right!? Even those with health issues or limitations. And the bonus is, its a good workout no matter who you are. The class is customized by you! I did a cycle class this evening and loved every minute of it!
Zumba is so much fun. You dont have to be a dancer to do it. I mean, you'll probably look better doing it if you are... but I can guarantee you, no matter what gym you are at, there are people in your Zumba class who are not dancers. Go with the wives on your team to a Zumba class together. You'll have so much fun!!!
If you dont want to or cant join a gym, use the facilities at your apartment. Swim laps, use the workout room or buy a bike on Craigslist. Rent or download fitness dvds and workout as a group. One summer we did weekly netflix workouts... All 80s. We laughed our heads off as we worked it with Richard Simmons, Suzanne Somers and Dennise Austin!
As a team of wives train for a race or triathlon together. We've done that as well. Last year another wife and I did a fun run on July 4th. Even my 4 year old ran with us!
Whatever you decide to do... Eating healthy and exercising will make your summer better. I promise!

Arts and Crafts
One summer our team of wives paid $10 to have a booth at the local farmers market. We decided we were going to sell handmade cards. We laughed the days away as we made hundreds of cards together. I'm not going to lie, they were hideous! But, in our naive bliss we thought we were going to sell our lot and make some serious profits. To our surprise, by the end of the market we were having a hard time GIVING our ugly cards away. One person bought one card. For $0.50. But the experience was unforgettable! Get creative with you teams!! Do something memorable and fun together.

No comments:

Post a Comment