Monday, June 22, 2015

Stories of a Southern Gypsy




Summer: a time to enjoy BBQ's, pool parties and hot summer nights. And for the world of Vivint, it also means crunch time! It means time to move, time to explore a new town and meet new friends, and a time to support your husband as he sets out to hit his own personal goals and be successful for your family. What a amazing time of year!


For us, it means time to head to the south. My husband Jarom and I have been married just over a year, and this is our third summer Vivint-ing. ;) (Summer one was dating, summer two was right after our honeymoon, and now summer three is one year into marriage!)

The south is completely different than any other place I've been to. Southern hospitality and fried fish is a way of life here. This year we are in Alabama, and last year was spent in Mississippi. Due to licensing craziness, we've been staying in extended-stay hotels until we are cleared to sell in Alabama.

For the first several weeks of the summer, I was the only wife out here. This made me realize a few things: First, men really do need their woman in their life! I was surprised to see how much the guys latched onto me those first few weeks to ask me for advice, help with a task or simply just to borrow kitchen utensils they forgot to bring. :) I also realized how much I missed the other wives! Being together with your friends while the men are away had truly created some of the best friendships I've ever had, and I realized that Elevate is such an amazing program to help the women of Vivint feel loved and needed. I made a goal to maximize my time with them once we were together to make sure we continued that friendship. I couldn't wait till I was with my girls!

In other news, moving 5 times in the first month made me realize we have a promising future as professional car-packer-uppers.

As most of you have probably felt at some point, there are times that I have my doubts about the summer. It's hard to have your man gone all day! But then I remind myself that we are truly blessed to be a part of this experience together. What other way could you live in different parts of the country that you've never been to, and explore the hidden gems in each town? Vivint has created a way for Jarom and I to see and explore some of the most beautiful parts of the country that I probably wouldn't have ever traveled to, had we not been a part of Vivint.

I haven't been doing this as long as some other families, but these 5 tips are things that have helped our summers go smoothly.

1- Get involved with the team. Make friends with not only the wives but also the reps and techs! They are your family for the next four months, and it will be so much more fun if you're close to those who are out there with you. You're all in this together!
2- Stay organized. (Easier said than done, right?) I've noticed that the mornings I get up, make the bed, start breakfast, and get going on my day seem to go so much smoother! Having a plan and a clean apartment are golden :)
3- Immerse yourself in the culture of your town! Look up the local events, historic sites, and plan a day with the girls to go see them. This could mean a picnic in a park, a day at the zoo, or catching a local ball game. Whatever it is, have fun with it! You won't be here long. :)
4- Start the day with your toughest task first. Between working full time remotely with my job back in Utah and sharing the Office Assistant duties with one other wife, my mornings are jam packed. I've noticed that when I tackle the tasks that I naturally want to put off because they're difficult or inconvenient makes the test of my "to do" list a breeze.
5- Remember how much of a blessing you are to your husband for being there to support him. Keep being his positive cheerleader- he needs it more than you know!


No comments:

Post a Comment